I just spotted a Google Streetview Car pass by the office window. I’m suprised that they’re down here in ‘rural’ wicklow but it was a nice suprise all the same. Rachel managed to take a snap…
Another nice suprise was Typeform in Dublin arriving seconds later to deliver scans of the next 150 paintings that we are getting ready for the Texaco Children’s Art Competition website. When I mentioned the Google car, he said there were a few of them pottering about!
Big thanks for Fergus for the tip off here. This looks like a great opportunity for a designer who wants to work with Ireland’s best Property Portal. Daft.ie are looking for a talented GUI/interface guy or gal on a contract basis and working remotely also looks possible. If work at EdenWeb wasn’t so busy with current clients and we were looking to expland, I’d be calling DAFT right now!
Click the screenshot for full details.
Contract/Freelance Web Interface Designer
Conicidentally, I worked with Eamonn in a Software company just before he left to head up DAFT. I was creating icons and GUI designs for his Engineering team at the time and can confirm that you will be dealing with some very talented people who know their interface design! Now that he is managing DAFT, I’m not sure you’ll be dealing with Eamonn himself but I’m certain there will be a keen eye cast on any GUI developments. I’ve always maintained that one of the reason the DAFT web site was streets ahead of other Irish property portals was it’s clean front-end design and usability. With a founder who has a background in Software Engineering and a familiarity with GUI design, I think DAFT’s website has benefitted right from the start.
Anyway, good luck if you apply. It looks like a great gig to have on the books.
Melbourne-based SitePoint.com have a great book offer at the moment in aid of the recent Melbourne bushfire victims. You can now buy any 5 of their web design books (in PDF format) for the price of 1 and 100% of the money will go to the Australian Red Cross Victorian Bushfire Appeal 2009. The range of titles available are to numberous to mention here and span everything from designand coding to project management and business.
Sitepoint book offer
And if you are based in Europe and thinking of buying 5 SitePoint books then consider purchasing another 5 for someone else. The EUR to AUD exchange rate is so good at the moment that it’s practically 2 AUD to every EUR anyway. My mistake – the price is US Dollars, not Austrlian Dollars
Happy New Year everyone.
It’s the start of a brand new working year. Whether you’ve got big or small plans for 2009, I hope they come true for you and your business.
Best of luck tonight to EdenWeb client Aer Arann who have been shortlisted in the Best Travel & Tourism Website category. We redesigned the homepage a few months ago (Case Study coming soon) and made some significant improvements to the design, layout and usability of the homepage and site in generalÂ so it’s really rewarding to see that work recognised and up for an Award.
Among my favourite enhancements were three that I felt stongly were missing from the original site and vital for Aer Arann
- RouteMap Quick View so you can quickly see where Aer Arann fly to without leaving the homepage
(this may not be live on the current site as we explore some new banner sizes)
- A ‘Why Fly Aer Arann’ panel to highlight Aer Arann’s unique selling points and their fantastic customer service
- Reduction overall of ‘noise’ and a layout based on a cleaner grid system
- Larger ‘featured routes’ banner to highlight sales, new destinations and similar Aer Arann offers
In total, we explored about 6 concepts, whittled them down to three of the strongest and then settled on our favourite which was then designed and developed further in May 2008.
We also redesigned the Aer Arann booking engine and imporved the user interface with a new simple 3 step online booking process (reduced from 6 steps). More on both of these later but in the meantime, best of luck to Aer Arann andÂ all the shortlisted companies in a very competitive category and industry.
I’m helping a friend get two very basic holding pages together for her choir prior to an appearance on the Late Late show this Friday.
The Specular Choir
Inishowen Gospel Choir
I’m hoping to get these two tiny sites Googled and indexed by Friday. Finger’s crossed!
I’ve just been really impressed by the customer service over at Mactivate in Dublin. My Macbook battery packed up while I was working remotely and their service department couldn’t do enough for me. They set me up with a brand new battery and told me to come back on Monday when they’d have a replacement ready for my other one. I’m not sure they were impressed to see Vista running when the laptop powered back up but Ill be back on Monday for my other battery, a copy of OSX Leopard and another drool at all that gorgeous Apple hardware.
Before you rush off and download Google’s shiny new Browser, just make sure you read their End User License Agreement and are happy with this shocker.
And I thought their motto was ‘Don’t be evil’!
- 11. Content license from you
- 11.1 You retain copyright and any other rights you already hold in Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. This license is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the Services and may be revoked for certain Services as defined in the Additional Terms of those Services.
- 11.2 You agree that this license includes a right for Google to make such Content available to other companies, organizations or individuals with whom Google has relationships for the provision of syndicated services, and to use such Content in connection with the provision of those services.
- 11.3 You understand that Google, in performing the required technical steps to provide the Services to our users, may (a) transmit or distribute your Content over various public networks and in various media; and (b) make such changes to your Content as are necessary to conform and adapt that Content to the technical requirements of connecting networks, devices, services or media. You agree that this license shall permit Google to take these actions.
- 11.4 You confirm and warrant to Google that you have all the rights, power and authority necessary to grant the above license.
Cashel Palace Hotel already have some of the nicest staff and now they’ve just made my day with their free WIFI. The photo below doesn’t do their Hotel justice but neither does their website. We decided to come back here almost 3 years later based on their great rooms, staff and restaurant.
Anyway – having free net access on the laptop and being able to fix a client’s site this evening while travellng to Cork was such a bonus that I thought I’d mention them and link to their hotel in Tipperary
Thanks guys. WIFI in hotels can be such a rip off that it’s nice to see a hotel provide a little extra for guests.
5 top things I’m really enjoying at the moment…
1. Not buying the Sunday Business Post for the first time in about 8 years.
2. Losing over 80% of my blog feeds and not re-subscribing.
3. Unsubscribing from several Twitter feeds.
4. Setting Outlook to download emails every 30 minutes instead of every 10.
5. Focusing on several great ‘core’ clients and being able to choose the amount of ‘extra’ design work I take on.